As much as I enjoy eating healthy, and trying to get into shape, it is starting to get hard on my pocketbook! Grocery shopping for healthy foods is much more expensive then shopping for junk food which seems somewhat backwards to me. When we have problems with childhood obesity, or obesity in general, it seems silly that we make junk food so accessible but jack up prices of healthy foods that could combat the problems we face.
This is a problem not only at the grocery store, but also with restaurants, and more specifically, fast food. You can’t exactly go to a healthy restaurant and get a healthy entrĂ©e for a mere dollar, yet you can go to McDonald’s or Burger King and find a plethora of unhealthy options for an extremely low price. If you are in a family struggling for money, it is hard to turn down such a cheap meal!
I think our country needs to work towards making healthy foods less expensive and more accessible. Everybody deserves a chance to be healthy and fit, not only people that have enough money to support this lifestyle. I realize junk food and fast food will always be around, but it would be much easier to turn down the $2 bag of chips if I was able to get and equivalent sized bowl of fruit for the same amount of money. I guess until then I will continue scraping my money together before a grocery store visit.
No comments:
Post a Comment