Fitness Collage

Fitness Collage

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Fish Oil

       Okay, so I am constantly hearing about fish oil, but I never really knew why it was so good for you, and if I should start taking it myself. So I decided I would finally check it out, and see what the deal was with fish oil. I stumbled upon a website that laid out the benefits pretty clearly, so I figured I would summarize them for you guys so that you too will no longer be mystified by fish oil. There are so many benefits, I picked only the ones I found most prevalent and useful.
       First on the list: Heart Problems. Fish oil can help reduce a certain type of blood fat, and increase good cholesterol. It also slightly thins blood, making it less likely that you will have a heart attack. It also helps prevent cardiac arrest and strokes, while also lowering blood pressure.
       Next up: Arthritis. Fish oil helps reduce inflammation as well as other symptoms of arthritis. There has been shown decreases in joint stiffness and tenderness. However, it takes long term use of fish oil to really notice results, so don’t expect to notice any immediate relief of arthritis.
       Fish oil not only has physical benefits, but it also mental health benefits. It helps prevent illnesses such as depression, bipolar disorder, and schizophrenia. Fish oil helps maintain the proper functioning of dopamine and serotonin in the brain, which are what help us continue to feel good and happy. When used properly and combined with other drugs, fish oil has been shown to combat the mood disorders listed above.
       With all the benefits of fish oil, I will have to take fish oil pills into serious consideration.


No comments:

Post a Comment